Piggy Smalls

Ever since Piggy Smalls opened at Ward Centre I've wanted to go. Now that the initial buzz has died down a bit (as have the crowds), I went for lunch with my mom. We went right when they opened on a Saturday, anticipating that it would be crowded if we went later, but even when we left at noon, there wasn't a long wait. I believe they don't take reservations, so if you're trying to avoid a wait, I'd go right when they open! 

A photo posted by SIENNA 🦁 (@miss_sienna) on

They like to do "family style" food with regular portions, meaning that they encourage sharing even though each item is only large enough for one person. I ordered the Hanoi Shrimp Cold Noodle and my mom got the Vegan Pho and we shared. The cold noodle dish was incredible! The shrimps were marinated with tumeric and some other spices and were served with vermicelli noodles and an herb salad. The dressing was a fish sauce that had the perfect blend of sweet, sour, and spice. The vegan pho was served with tomatoes and mushrooms and was really good as well. The depth of flavor of the broth was insane considering no animal products were used and it was really well balanced. I thought the tomatoes were an odd addition, but everything worked well together. They have a normal pho (with meat) on the menu as well. 


If you go to Piggy Smalls you need to get a dessert! They have a wide range of dessert options including a homemade slushy that changes flavor weekly (it was Li-hing pineapple when I was there, although I didn't try it myself). We did get the Milk and Honey, which is their signature dessert. It's a sponge cake with a milk soak served with bee pollen, honey, and a candied honeycomb. On paper, it doesn't sound particularly special, but it was amazing. 10/10 would recommend!

In the future, I'd love to go back to Piggy Smalls and try the Laotian Chicken because I've heard amazing things about that and the Pho-Strami sandwich. You can check out Piggy Small's full menu here, and let me know in the comments if you've eaten here before! 
-Sisi

Comments

Popular Posts