Friday, September 18, 2015

Great Reno Balloon Race

Hi guys!
By now most of you know that I'm going to college in Reno, but if you didn't, surprise! I am! This past weekend was the Great Reno Balloon Race. It's the largest free hot air balloon attraction, and was tons of fun! If you follow me on Instagram (which you should! It's @miss_sienna) you've already seen some pictures, but I thought I'd go in to more detail here!




So the balloon races are an annual event that is the first weekend after labor day. This year, it was September 11th, 12th, and 13th. It happens very early in the morning with the glow show starting at 5, and everything else starting after that. It's held in Rancho San Rafael Park, which is really close to the University and Downtown. 


The Dawn Patrol was definitely the best part of the day because it was gorgeous seeing those balloons light up in the pitch black morning. The first picture doesn't do it justice at all! It was seriously magical! After that's done, there's a good half an hour of down time where you can go to get food. The food was really good and reasonably priced. I got a biscuits and gravy for $4, and my friend got a huge bowl of teri chicken and rice for $6. It's all local vendors too, so you know you're money's going to a good cause! 



The weather was not the best for us today. There were some forest fires in the mountains that led to the smokey quality in the air, and the winds started to pick up, so many of the balloons either had to land early or couldn't ascend. I've heard that the weather can vary year by year, so check that before you go. For me, though, it was around 70°, and was pretty comfortable. 

Some tips before you go are...
Bring water! I really wish that I had water because the park is pretty dusty, and you will definitely want that!
Bring something to sit on. We had a yoga mat and a couple blankets, which was definitely handy!
Bring cash. Many of the food places won't accept credit cards. 
Go for Dawn Patrol! You won't regret it!
Don't bring pets. It's too crowded for dogs, and it's really not the safest place for them to be! 

I hope you enjoyed this post! If you have been to the Great Reno Balloon Races let me know you're experience in the comments below! For me, I'm definitely going to make an effort to go at least one day each year while I'm in Reno! 
-Sisi

No comments:

Post a Comment